You can make a difference. Senators and House Representatives pay attention to who is
making noise. Letting them know whether you are for, or against, a law helps them know what their constituents think.
Please take a moment or two to let them know what you think.
I recommend that you make the following points:
1. State that you opposed the bill as an unfair bill to consumers - ordinary people like you who
hold down jobs, have families to raise, and care about their friends and neighbors.
2. Describe yourself briefly. You should mention if you were laid off from work, divorced, widowed and/or have medical
issues. State the nature of your financial problems.
3. People who file bankruptcy are people like you who would rather be in a position where they didn't have to file bankruptcy.
Having the option to file bankruptcy is one that you are not making lightly. Describe how hard it is/was for you to even think
4. If you filed already, let them know how it helped you and what your experience was like. Let them know that people aren't
filing bankruptcy to get away with anything, just to get on with their lives.
5. Let them know that if you are in trouble, you want to have access to an experienced and honest lawyer to make sure that
the job is done correcly. The new laws will place heavy burdens on lawyers which will drive many out of business, or cause
fees to go up so much you may not be able to hire a lawyer at all.
To contact your Senator, click here: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
To contact your Representative, click here: http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml